Rolling Stock In White City

The Society stores part of its collection of rolling stock on unused industrial trackage in White City, Oregon. This equipment is not available for public viewing or access. In operable or nearly operable condition, it is anticipated that this equipment will be used in excursion train service in or around the Rogue Valley.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The rolling stock pictured below is stored on private property. Trespassing is prohibited and the area is patrolled. If you feel you must visit this equipment, please contact the Society and arrange for a tour. Our hosts in White City are being very generous in allowing us to keep our trains here. Please respect their security and keep away from this equipment.

Click on the images below for larger versions

By far the most valuable piece of equipment in White City is the Medco 8. This Baldwin S-8 was purchased new by Medco in 1952 and hauled logs out of the woods around Butte Falls until 1961. It is the only Baldwin switcher (not road switcher) built with dynamic brakes. The 8 has been rebuilt by Society members, sports it's original Medford Corporation livery and is in operable condition. More about its acquisition, rebuild and test runs on the Medco 8 Page.

Photo: Todd Montgomery

The Society's ex-Southern Pacific Harriman Dining Car en-route from Eugene to White City. (More to come about this historic dining car.)

Photo: Todd Montgomery

In 1997 our Society acquired three government surplus boxcars, stored at Ogden, Utah. They were trucked to Oregon, with the two pictured here delivered to the Society on an unused siding at Tolo. These are DLA (Defense Logistics Agency) #44015, an AAR design (manufacturer unknown) built in 1944, and DLA #53208, a Pullman-Standard PS-1 built in 1953. Both cars are in “like-new” condition, having seen very little use by the military. We are using those two cars to store additional diesel locomotive parts, as well as more of the Society's collection of railroad items.

Photo: Larry Tuttle

The Society donated one of the three ex-military box cars to the Willamette & Pacific Railroad in appreciation for their generous assistance in returning the Medco 8 to operating condition. It was their intent to use this car as part of a train of vintage equipment available for use in movies. A change in management nixed the movie train idea and the equipment was dispersed, some to scrap and this box car back to the Society. Re-stenciled WPRR MW (ex-DLA) 53209 is pictured here on a special move by CORP to White City along with our diner. Like the 53208 (above) it's a Pullman-Standard PS-1 built in 1953

Photo: Todd Montgomery

Ex-SP Economy Baggage car 6799 was donated to the Society by the scrapper that was contracted by Union Pacific to remove it. CORP donated the move from Eugene, Oregon to White City. It was built by American Car & Foundry in 1962. Like most SP cars of this type, it was never acquired by Amtrak and spent most of its life as a storage shed for the railroad. Although it has some rust issues, the car is in good mechanical condition and is a candidate for refurbishment and use on excursion trains.

Photo: Todd Montgomery

Society member Dan Wilkinson owns these two ex-Santa Fe cabeese. They are in very good condition and will be a welcome addition to our planned excursion train.

Photo: Bruce Kelly

Like the cabooses above, this ex-TTX flat is also owned by Dan Wilkinson. There are plans to convert it to an open air car for excursion train riders.

Photo: Bruce Kelly

Dan Wilkinson purchased this car, the former SP 6798 (twin-sister to the Society's baggage car shown above) in 1999 and has it stored with Society equipment. It had been used a signal maintainer's shed in Grants Pass and was parked on a siding adjacent to the Siskiyou Line. A fire in a lumber yard next to the siding scorched one side of the car and produced the rusty result pictured here. This car may be used in Society excursion trains...after a LOT of rust removal and paint application.

Photo: Bruce Kelly

Also owned by Dan Wilkinson is this ex-PSAP (originally B&O) GP-30. Dan is looking to lease this locomotive to a shortline operator. It is stored with the rest of Dan's equipment. There are no plans for the Society to use this locomotive.

Photo: Bruce Kelly

All photos Copyright 2012 by the original photographer.

Return to SO Rail Home